Ticket #966 (closed task: fixed)
Fedora 19 Schedule proposal (DRAFT!)
|Reported by:||jreznik||Owned by:|
Schedule draft As we already slipped for 5 weeks and for the final release there is still no hard date (even we solved the issue with one more Beta slip), I started working on F19 schedule to check what are our options.
The idea is to overlap F18/F19 development to allow us target May as a release month for odd releases and minimize the effect on development. Final Change Deadline seems like a good candidate where to start planning phase - most of the Fedora 18 development should be already done, only release blocking issues are fixed during the freeze. With the F18 Beta change we are still able to hit second half of the May. GNOME releases, we are trying to be in sync with are considered in schedule - 3.7.90 to Alpha and Final for Beta.
- 2012-11-26 Fedora 18 Final Change Deadline
- 2012-11-27 Fedora 19 Planning & Development Begins
- 2012-11-28 Start Fedora 19 Features Submission
- 2013-02-12 Feature Submission Deadline
- 2013-02-20 GNOME 3.7.90 release
- 2013-02-26 Branch Fedora 19 from Rawhide
- 2013-03-05 Alpha Change Deadline/Software? String Freeze
- 2013-03-19 Alpha Public Availability
- 2013-03-27 GNOME 3.8.0 release
- 2013-04-09 Features 100% Complete Deadline / Beta Change Deadline
- 2013-04-23 Beta Release Public Availability
- 2013-05-06 Final Change Deadline (with same -1 week as for F-18 Beta, will see how this works)
- 2013-05-21 Final (GA) release
Other options are - redefine scope of Fedora 19, have a smaller release, and be more aggressive on aiming the beginning of the May. We can avoid the overlap of F18/F19 this way and start later too.
Btw. I do not consider here the requests for 9 months release cycle etc. There are also requests to prolong the period between Feature Complete deadline and Alpha change deadline to give developers a time to integrate new stuff (see systemd, Anaconda examples).