Welcome on the xmlto project page
xmlto is a shell-script tool for converting XML files to various formats.
At the moment it supports conversion from docbook, xhtml1 and fo format to various output formats (awt, fo, htmlhelp, javahelp, mif, pdf, svg, xhtml, dvi, html, html-nochunks, man , pcl, ps, txt, xhtml-nochunks, epub).
It uses passivetex(default)/fop/dblatex for processing, just provides easy to use command line frontend to make fine output without remembering many long options and searching for syntax.
Older versions (up to 0.0.20) could be found at http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/xmlto/stable/ .
Useful xmlto informations are at Tim Waugh's pages http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/xmlto/.
Porting to other platforms
xmlto is primarily designed for the Linux environment, but design is intended to be as portable as possible. Primary issue is usually with the getopt() availability/compatibility. If you managed to make port to some non-Linux environment and you think other may benefit from your work, feel free to contact me and I'll post the link here.
- Windows port:
- Jarek Czekalski was successful with porting xmlto for Windows. Detailed description with the binaries and howto is available at http://jarek.katowice.pl/other/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15.
How to checkout sources and contribute:
You can checkout the latest sources by
svn checkout http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/xmlto/
Feel free to propose patches either here via trac or send me them to ovasik@… . Please let me know if you don't want to be listed in THANKS file. Thanks in advance!
Latest released version - xmlto 0.0.25 released on December 2nd 2011
What is new in xmlto-0.0.25:
- fix possible conflict in manpage generation
- fix the issue with fop/fop1 extensions support
- fix support for external data objects (images) with fop
Current TODO list for 0.0.26 (release date unknown at the moment ;) ):
- fix possible issues from 0.0.25
- support for xmlroff
- documentation/message improvements
- better handling of currently always overriden xsl variables (e.g. encoding related)
If you have any ideas what could/should be done in xmlto, feel free to contact me at mailto:ovasik@… . Thanks in advance