The liveusb-creator is a cross-platform tool for easily installing live operating systems on to USB flash drives.
- Works in Windows and Linux!
- Completely non-destructive install. There is no need to deal with formatting or partitioning your USB key.
- Supports automatically downloading various Fedora releases, as well as Sugar on a Stick!
- Automatically detects all of your removable devices
- Persistent storage creation. This lets you to allocate extra space on your USB stick, allowing you to save files and make modifications to your live operating system that will persist after you reboot. This essentially lets you carry your own personalized Fedora with you at all times.
- Checksum verification of known releases, to ensure that you've downloaded the correct bits
- Translated in many languages
"As a non-Linux person, Live-USB Creator has improved the quality of my life measurably!" --Dr. Arthur B. Hunkins
Warning: There are virus-infected copies of the Windows liveusb-creator floating around various download sites on the internet. Only download the Windows liveusb-creator from this page!
- Windows installer: liveusb-creator-3.12.0-setup.exe (13M) (ChangeLog).
- SHA1: ed3c8355821d419e68f3e7cce0ceef4c5b42aafb
For Fedora, simply use Add/Remove? software and search for liveusb-creator and install it or do
# yum install liveusb-creator
- Tarball: liveusb-creator-3.11.8.tar.gz (240K) (sha1: 1ca8d1de3f86f616b1a27c16cb046f9cb519787f).
- GitHub?: https://github.com/lmacken/liveusb-creator
2013-10-17 :: v3.12.0
2013-04-30 :: v3.11.8
- Fixed EFI booting
- Added a button for refreshing the release list
- Fixed translations under Windows
- Modernized installer style and translated it approprately
- Built with Python 2.7 (previous versions were built with 2.5)
- Fixed a bug that prevented persistent overlays from working
- Improvements and bugfixes to the maximum overlay sizing code
- Handle devices without any free space
- Fixed bugs with handling devices with non-ascii labels
- A variety of other bugfixes and improvements (see the commit log for details).
- E-Week - Best Gadgets and Apps for IT Pros
- Lifehacker - The Most Popular Linux Posts of 2008
- Lifehacker - Fedora 9 Puts Your Desktop on a USB Drive
- Featured in the "Put Linux in your pocket" article in the Jan 2009 Issue #114 of the Linux Format magazine
- Wired.com - New Sugar on a Stick Brings Much Needed Improvements
- ZDNet White Papers - Use Live USB Creator to install Fedora 12 from a USB stick
- Featured in Applied Networking Labs by Dr. Randall Boyle
- Screenshots of the liveusb-creator in action.
- See the Developers Guide
- Subscribe to the liveusb-creator mailing list
- Read the API and source code
- Help work on existing issues