Ticket #89 (closed task: wontfix)
Permission to ship OpenERP with bundled "faces-project"
|Reported by:||xrg||Owned by:||spot|
|Component:||Bundled Library Exception||Version:|
|Keywords:||openerp server faces unreleased||Cc:|
Temporarily allow openerp-server to bundle the "faces-project" python library
About 1 year ago, OpenERP had chosen to use "faces-project" as a resource calculation library in its human resource module. It has also modified the library. Faces-project has been an inactive (in the original, sourceforge page) project since 2008. One fork existed in repo.or.cz , at least and 2 attempts to fork it in Launchpad. It is unclear who uses the library; if others depend on it. After talking with the original author, access to sourceforge project was granted, the project was resurrected and the 2 other branches (openerp's and one of repo.or.cz) were published back into sourceforge. However, the work of merging the code of them is still pending. Also, tracking the users of the lib and letting them test a merged version is a challenge.
- OpenERP-server had modified and used this foreign project, as a bundled library
- Faces-project was not packaged, not actively maintained (to openerp's knowledge)
- Faces-project is a key component to a common-used openerp module
- openerp has pushed the changes back to the original project site
- changes need reviewing and merging with "main" code, also heavy testing. Thus an upstream merge will take some time.
OpenERP package discussion: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=693425