Ticket #1157 (closed general: fixed)
change the way Initial Hosting Requests are processed
|Reported by:||besser82||Owned by:|
When a new person is interressted in getting involved within the community by creating packages, one usually needs hosting space with the capability of direct linking. In Join the package collection maintainers there's mentioned a way how to request such hosting space.
The way these requests are processed is sub-optimal.
The problems here are:
- Those requests are processed by a single person. Everybody just has limit ressources (time). Sometimes it takes about one or two weeks until new requests are processed (nothing against you, tibbs, in person --> limited ressources).
- The "fedorabugs" group is "abused". It was created for some different purpose, afaik.
- Packager-sponsors are not able to give webspace to new people in needing it.
- There's even no direct human contact involved during the whole process until the review-bug is filed. The "newbie" needs to find a way to get in touch with someone helping him / answering questions.
- Create an own group for this purpose, e.g. "srpm-hosting".
- Give packager-sponsors the possibility to sponsor requestees to this new group.
- Assign those "Initial Hosting Request"-tickets to packager-sponsors ml.
- Add another step to Join the package collection maintainers wiki page after "Create your Fedora Account" like: "Create your Initial Package Ticket" to make sure there is a "real human" contact with a packager-sponsor rather early in the whole process, being a guide until the review-bug is filed. Alter the "Upload Your Package" step.
- Hosting requests can be processed quicker, because handling it up to a broader audiance. This gives the volunteers a sense of higher appreciation on his willingness to contribute.
- We have direct contact with new sponsorees a lot earlier in the whole joining-process.
- The newcomer has someone "on the hand" if he has questions or gets stuck.
- Communication between volunteer and packager-sponsor can be handled through the trac-ticket or some other way they agree upon with oneanother.
proposal for wiki page
Create your Initial Package Ticket
You will need some hosting space to upload your SRPM and SPEC files created in further steps onto the Internet somewhere so that others can retrieve them. Please visit the sponsors trac instance and file a ticket in the "Initial package hosting request" component. After this there will be someone to get in touch with you giving you some storage at http://fedorapeople.org and helping you through the process to that point when your Review Request gets filed and answering your questions.
Upload Your Package
Upload your SRPM and SPEC files onto your storage at http://fedorapeople.org, which was given to you earlier in the process, so that others can retrieve them.