Ticket #1102 (closed task: fixed)

Opened 13 months ago

Last modified 13 months ago

Release name issues

Reported by: jreznik Owned by:
Priority: major Keywords: meeting
Cc: Blocked By:
Blocking:

Description

As discussed on Fedora devel list, current form of release name "Schrödinger's cat" causes several issues - #921896, #922433, ... and blocks creation of functional test composes. It seems there's no conclusion on the list and we are stepping around for a while.

Options 1) fix related issues - utf8 (os-release should be utf8 compatible) and special characters handling; it could be an extensive task blocking TC creation but good for future releases/remixes etc. 2) change the form - Schroedingers cat, Cat of Schroedinger, Schroedinger Katze

I'd stick with one option from Alpha up to Final. Especially for combination of 2) and 1) to avoid situation where we go with 2) for Alpha, switch back to 1) post Alpha and more issues arise.

Change History

comment:1 Changed 13 months ago by tmraz

  • Keywords meeting added

comment:2 follow-up: ↓ 8 Changed 13 months ago by toshio

Isn't the period from alpha to beta for fixing bugs? If so, why not go with the plan to fix these bugs during that period?

comment:3 Changed 13 months ago by notting

The draconian person in me says things should be able to cope with unicode characters in release names, so just fix them.

comment:4 Changed 13 months ago by jwboyer

I agree with notting and toshio. Fix.

comment:5 Changed 13 months ago by tmraz

I'd say fix unless we would really have to delay release due to this.

comment:6 Changed 13 months ago by pjones

We really should just be fixing the utf8 bugs as we find them.

comment:7 Changed 13 months ago by kevin

I'd like to fix things as well...

But I understand where QA and others are coming from. I'd say we should fix issues, but revisit if we start seeing a heavy volume of issues or fixes look like they will cause slips.

comment:8 in reply to: ↑ 2 Changed 13 months ago by jreznik

Replying to toshio:

Isn't the period from alpha to beta for fixing bugs? If so, why not go with the plan to fix these bugs during that period?

I mean - hiding it for Alpha, with no "push" to fix issues, and then reintroducing it, could cause more problems for Beta/Final? later.

And I'd say I'm ok with current solution - as a compromise between 1) and 2). Quote character is fixed now (thanks pjones), so at least scripts should not be broken now and os-release according to the man page should be in utf8 - we just have to fix it. And as nirik said - revisit in case of a heavy volume of related bugs.

comment:9 Changed 13 months ago by mmaslano

I guess everything should be working with utf8. I would change the name only in case of huge delay of release.

comment:10 Changed 13 months ago by kevin

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

agreed leave name as is, fix issues as they arise (+6,0,0)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.