What is docbook-lint ?
docbook-lint is a tool to check DocBook XML files for various problems.
Most DocBook toolchains only check for well-formedness of the XML and validity against a DTD. But there are many other kinds of useful, automated tests that you could do to a DocBook file, and that's where docbook-lint comes in.
So far it checks for the following:
- overly long lines within <screen> elements
- overly long content within <computeroutput> elements
- spelling mistakes, with intelligent handling of language, and suppression of spellchecking within e.g. textual screen dumps, code fragments etc
- presence of "forbidden" words (e.g. for swearwords or trademarks), based on a user-supplied configuration file
- naming conventions for IDs within the document
Ideas and patches for other tests most welcome! Please file them in this Trac instance.
docbook-lint is Free Software, licensed under the GNU General Public License v2
git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docbook-lint.git
Please let us know if you package it (by filing a ticket), so a link can be added to this website.
Hacking on docbook-lint
Internally, it's a command-line tool that's a thin wrapper around a python module. There's a self-test suite to cover all features (so please extend this when adding new stuff).
(need to be in the gitdocbook-lint group to have push access)