Cronie contains the standard UNIX daemon crond that runs specified programs at
scheduled times and related tools. It is based on the original cron and
has security and configuration enhancements like the ability to use pam and
And why cronie http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cronie
Latest released version is 1.5.0.
User visible changes:
- crond: Job environment variables are set also when executing sendmail.
- crond: Adding duplicate orphans on reload is now prevented.
- crond: The regular crond shutdown is now logged.
- crontab: PAM is not called in crontab command if the caller's uid is 0.
- crond: PAM is not called from crond for system cron jobs (/etc/crontab, /etc/cron.d) which are run for uid 0.
- crond: The existence of an user is checked at time when job is run and not when the crontab is parsed on database reload.
The source can be downloaded from https://fedorahosted.org/releases/c/r/cronie/
Cronie is packaged by these distributions:
Source Mage http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/grimoire/codex/stable/utils/cronie/
OpenSUSE replacement of default with cronie http://lists.suse.com/opensuse-features/2010-09/msg00217.html
Mailing list: cronie-devel AT lists.fedorahosted DOT org
Bugs can be filled either into the issue tracker at this site or into https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ Fedora product, component cronie.